If you're a dreamer, a wisher, a liar
A hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean buyer
If you're a pretender come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin
Come in...come in...
~Shel Silverstein

Monday, December 31, 2012

New Years Resolutions 2013...


So, it's coming up on that time of year...January first. The time of year when I make resolutions that I sometimes keep and sometimes forget all about. I've pretty much decided to give up on the goal of cooking dinner three nights a week. That was my goal for the last two or three years. I inevitably fail miserably at it because I HATE cooking. My husband really likes it. So, it makes more sense for him to cook. But, even with that, we're always going to be that family who considers a turkey and cheese sandwich to be a perfectly acceptable dinner choice. haha.

Other than the cooking thing, I tend to make goals that revolve around my writing. (huge surprise, right?). For the last three years, I keep making a really stupid goal, and I KNOW it's stupid while I'm making it, but I keep doing it anyway. I keep saying my goal is to have an agent. And, while I still WANT an agent, I'm not making that my goal this year because it's something I have no control over.

 I can't force an agent to like my work. Although I would if I could, I'll admit it. I wish I could run into Damon Salvatore  and borrow his nifty mind-control. Truthfully, if the agent was a girl, Damon wouldn't even have to use mind control if he'd just agree to dance around shirtless... BUT I'm definitely getting sidetracked here. What was I saying? Oh, right. Goals...

I did manage to keep my goal of writing a book this year, but I really wish I was one of those writers who could finish a book in six months instead of a year. Hmmmm... THAT sounds like an acceptable goal. Ha! I knew writing a blog post on goals would help me think of a good one! So, that's it. This will be the year I write a book in six months. I'm writing my newest book with a partner--my sixteen year old son, Chance, so I think, between the two of us, we can get it done.  And I think it's an awesome goal. Besides, in six months a baby can go from this to this:

THIS
TO THIS!
So, I can certainly write a book in that amount of time, right?






My other goal in 2012 was to read 100 books. I got close this year.  80 books in 2012. In 2013 I'm determined to reach 100. This time I'm going to keep track of it on Goodreads and get one of those nifty little reading bars everyone has.

I'm also going to have an actual schedule with my blog--something I haven't done yet. In the months of having this blog, I've realized that I almost always end up blogging Monday, Tuesday and Thursday--so that is the schedule I'm sticking to--with exceptions for blogfests or contests. :) 

So, that's it for me. What about you guys? What are your goals for the New Year? Did you reach your goals for 2012?

6 comments:

  1. I made a few goals last year: have more fun, eat dessert first when I go out to eat, and travel more. I did two of those three! :P But I only started making resolutions last year and I love it.

    Love your resolutions! I think they're very attainable! You can do it! Let's see if I can read over 100 books this year AND get an agent. That's what I really want.

    Oh, and there's nothing wrong with a sandwich for dinner. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you find a way to force an agent to like your work, let me know - I might have to suddenly switch up my resolutions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing a book with your son is a cool idea.
    And if you haven't had luck forcing an agent to like your work, try forcing a publisher instead.
    Hope this is YOUR year, Tamera.
    See you tomorrow for the IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Tamara,

    Happy New Year!

    You goals are realistic and attainable.... Just remember a writer writes in their own time. A story calls to us and sometimes it takes longer to write that story. What's important is the QUALITY of the writing that is MOST important. I wrote my first novel in three months ... BUT it took me TWO YEARS to edit and fine tune it... and I am STILL tweaking it.

    My blog is named In TIme .... Because I TRULY believe all good things happen to us IN TIME... So don't worry about the time, just write....

    I wish you ALL The best for 2013....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Cooking and Cleaning pic...that is completely true to me as well, =P

    Great goals, and the project with your son sounds really cool! Looking forward to hearing more about it, =)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have reasonable goals. Happy 2013 and one of my goals is finishing my w.i.p. Lyric World that I started in 2011 then put aside.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone! Thanks for the comment. :)